During IWMW’s life we’ve always done our best to make sure that details reach the right target audience. Once you’ve been to IWMW and are in the loop you’re more than likely to hear about when the next one will be; but there may be people we’d like to come along but who don’t find out about it.
We thought it would be useful to share our promotion channels and give people the opportunity to comment on what we do and make suggestions for next year.
Web sites and blogs
We promote IWMW on the following Web sites:
Brian and I mention IWMW on our blogs:
We also encourage plenary speakers, parallel workshop facilitators and sponsors to blog and write about the event in the weeks before it.
Over the years we have promoted IWMW on a number of JISCMail list including the following:
- The web-support JISCmail list which currently has 587 members.
- The website-info-mgt JISCmail list which currently has 568 members.
- The Admin-HEERA JISCmail list which currently has 834 members.
- The Digital-Preservation JISCmail list which currently has 1,263 members.
- The LIS-LINK JISCmail list which currently has 3,435 members.
- The LIS-Web2 JISCmail list which currently has 805 members.
- The LIS-Webpeople JISCmail list which currently has 156 members.
- The Mobile-SIG JISCmail list which currently has 207 members.
We have in the past also sent email information about the event to email@example.com. Recently this hasn’t been particularly successful as the webmaster email address appears to be defunct or is being used as a support rather than a contact address.
Occasionally we email local Web teams and groups such as the scottishwebfolk JISCMail list.
Twitter, RSS and more
We use various social networking tools including:
- Slideshare e.g. see the IWMW 2011 Slideshare group.
- Lanyrd e.g. see the IWMW 2011 Lanyrd group.
- Facebook e.g. see the IWMW 2010 Facebook group.
- Ideascale e.g. see the IWMW 2011 Ideascale page.
If we have time we have printed out flyers and taken them to relevant events to hand out.
However at this year’s event a number of people told us that they hadn’t heard of the event until this year and could possible have missed the booking deadline. Are we missing other dissemination channels? Is there anywhere else we could be or should be promoting future IWMW events?