Institutional Web Management Workshop, IWMW 2013
Workshop Session B2: Open Up: Open Data in the Public Sector
- B2: Open Up: Open Data in the Public Sector
- Session Tag:
- Thursday 27th June 2013 from 16:00-17:30
- Tony Hirst, Open University and Marieke Guy, UKOLN
Public sector organisations around the world are opening up public data like never before. This offers both opportunities and challenges for many of us interested in making use of the rich, yet sometimes complex, unstructured and unreliable data that is available.
This parallel session will look at the opportunities, challenges and current initiatives in this area, at HEIs and beyond. For example, the Open Knowledge Foundation has many projects carrying out exciting and relevant work:
- The LinkedUp project pushes forward the exploitation and adoption of public, open data available on the Web, in particular by educational organisations and institutions. It also hopes to capture open Web data success stories - innovative and robust scenarios of deployed tools integrating and analysing large-scale open Web data in the education sector.
- The School of Data project offers online courses for anyone interested in using open data.
The session is aimed at people who are likely to be working with open data at some point in the future.
During the session there will be opportunities to experiment with open data and try out some mashing techniques.
Workshop Session Page on Lanyrd
Further information about this session is available on Lanyrd. If you attend this session or would like to track it feel free to join the Lanyrd entry.